Why does JIRA respect AD GUIDs for renames but not username reuse?

Web AM April 19, 2016

I see that JIRA's AD settings allow me to set a User Unique ID Attribute with the caption

The attribute field to use for tracking user identity across user renames.

Makes sense because Jane Smith (JSmith) could become Jane Doe (JDoe) and, of course, JIRA would need to maintain the association between her synced JIRA account and her AD account.

This led me to believe that this would also work in the other direction.  For example, Jane Smith (JSmith, GUID 1234) quits, her AD account is deleted, and John Smith (JSmith, GUID 1235) is hired.  They both have different GUIDs but Jane Smith's comments and other histories, assignments, etc. are now associated with John Smith.

Seems like it should see that the value of the attribute in the User Unique ID Attribute is different and start a new synced account in JIRA for John Smith.  Am I missing a check box somewhere?

If not resolved through the admin panel, is there something that can be done in a config somewhere to prevent this issue?  Things like issue assignments and such aren't really an issue as we can perform bulk operations in the UI.  It's mainly all of the logging and comments elsewhere.

1 answer

1 vote
GBE April 29, 2016

Is there any feedback on this question? We are also facing the same trouble in my company with both JIRA & Confluence. We created some (ugly) workaround for JIRA but they don't work on Confluence yet.

Concretely, before the user is created, we delete some rows in the DB related to the old user!

Delete the user and recreate it in the internal JIRA directory.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events