Why can't I click on the epic in the scrum board details view?

Martin R November 10, 2015

On my scrum board, when I click on a story in the backlog it opens the detail pane.  However the epic 'link' on this view is not a 'hyperlink' which means that I still have to open the story ticket to get to the epic.  This seems like a monumental oversight and such a simple thing to fix - I wonder if there is a way to configure this?  This is generally frustrating, but made worse because JIRA is so unbelievably slow; every unnecessary window I have to open is tedious and irritating.

The epics list on the scrum board is pretty poor as well. By default the epics are all collapsed and don't show the ID so I have to go up and down the list opening each one trying to find the epic related to the stories I'm interested in.  I mean ffs, why can't I click on the epic tag on a story in the backlog and have it filter the view by that epic and select the epic. that would be great.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong so would appreciate some suggestions with these seemingly simple UI problems.

3 answers

0 votes
Jamie McCarogher September 9, 2016

You're answer to this is all well and fine Elisa, but what if we're using a Kansan board. I need an easy and quick way to navigate to the epic from my board. 

0 votes
Martin R November 12, 2015

Hi thanks for the response.

However my problem is I can't always easily find the epic in the left panel as we have quite a few. So I was referring to clicking on the epic 'tag' on the story in the backlog, it would be great to be able to click on the this to filter the view and highlight the epic in the left panel.  Also you don't really explain why the epic link in the right hand 'detail' view does not hyperlink to the epic - that would at least be a very simple way for me to open up the epic without having to find it in a long list on the left. How do I request an improvement?

I'm not sure that there is much point raising a support ticket about the speed - I've used JIRA for years with many different clients and it has always been unacceptably slow for a 21st century application. I've come to the conclusion it's a fundamental issue with the software and or platform and not sure you can fix it without a complete re-write.  You do have some potential to mitigate these issue by improving the UI and not making me open 500 browser tabs all the time!

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2015

Hi Martin, 

Actually, when you click on the epic name (from the left panel) it does filter the tasks that are associated with that epic. Also, if you expand the epic that you'd like to work with, it will show up the epic link for you. See:

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.28.35 AM.png

About the slowness of JIRA, please raise a support ticket (support.atlassian.com) so we can verify the resources for your instance. smile

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer