Why are transitions missing and the status wrong

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2016

Have an issue that I hope someone has a fix for.

I created a project and many issues within it. I then imported updates to these issues and included in this import was the status.  Now on many of them the transition buttons are missing.

Also I have tasks that the status is wrong for. This comes about in the fact that before the import it was on status of 1 but in my import I had it update to status 2.  On screen it reads that it is on status 2 just as I have imported but the transition buttons (if there is one) will be for a transition coming of status 4.  When I look at the Transitions activity it says that the issue is on status 1.

I have tried a re-index but no change.  In short the project looks to be all stuffed up. Given it is a project that we are well into I am not looking for a solution of start again.

PLEASE HELP.  Thanks,

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2016

Ok, let's look at a single issue that is broken (I'm assuming the others are similar)

Can you look at the issue view and tell us

• What the status is
  • Give us the workflow diagram
  • Tell us what transitions there are available in the workflow bar at the top

Also, can you run a few searches for us.  They need to be similar and ideally short, and should select for the issue we're looking for on things not related to status (so "project = X and summary ~ "this issue" and updated > -7d" might be a start).  Once you've designed a good search like that, try it with these clauses added:

• and status = 1
  • and status = 2
  • and status = 4

Which one, if any, of these, finds your issue?

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2016

Nic thanks for your comment on this. In the end I ended up fixing them as I found them.  Looks like the issue is with importing and updating an issue type. I had another project that I updated via CSV and for every issue I changed the type of I needed to go and fix them by moving them within JIRA to another type and then back again. 

Just wanted to say that I appreciated your efforts on this and not have them go unnoticed. 

0 votes
Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2016

Hi,  I did and it did return errors within the workflow for about 6 out of the 1000's of issues. These were for issues I updated the status for that did not have that status in their workflow. In the example above this is not one of these tickets. All other results passed. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2016

Very quick thing to try - admin -> integrity checker

Does that report any problems?

Suggest an answer