Why are "Issues in Epic" missing from Epics when the user is anonymous?

Arc IT Helpdesk December 21, 2016

I've decided to open up our team JIRA installation to the business so that they can track progress on projects. In our setup, each project is an epic.

Users outside the team are anonymous and for some reason they don't see the list of issues in the epic. Proper users (i.e. the development team) do see the list of issues in the epic.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andreas Haaken _APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 21, 2016

Yes, the functionality of the list of issues is a jira software feature. 

But you might override that with epic sum up, that gives you a side panel with drill down, showing that list on click 😉

Arc IT Helpdesk December 22, 2016

Thanks Andreas. Epic sum up does a great job of exposing the information business users will need!

Dena McClure March 16, 2018

Just ran into this problem myself. What is the epic sum up feature? Is it an addin?

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

That is correct.

Epic Sup Up

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2016

I think (but am not sure) that this is because no JIRA Software functionality can be granted anonymous access. Anonymous users cannot see Kanban/Scrum boards, they cannot create Epics. Perhaps they cannot even use the Epic Link field, required to show issues related to an Epic.

0 votes
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2019

I just ran into this problem myself so just want to add: Check if your user has a JIRA software license (maybe - as it was in our case - they only have a Service Desk license.)

0 votes
Deleted user December 21, 2016

How are your project permissions set? It sounds like you would need to have the 'Browse projects' permssion granted to 'Anyone' in order to see the issues. You'll probably want to create users for the business team unless you want your issues open to the public.

Suggest an answer