Why are issues on my custom workflow not transitioning to the final status?

JB March 6, 2018

I have a custom workflow with a single TO DO status, several IN PROGRESS statuses, and a single DONE status. The final IN PROGRESS status has an outgoing transition to the DONE status. All of my transitions work correctly except for this last transition. When this last transition is selected the issue does not update to the new DONE status but stays on the same IN PROGRESS status. All transitions disappear from the screen and there is no history of the attempted transition on the issue. What’s going on here? How do I correct this so the issue transitions to the final status as intended?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

What validators and post-functions do you have on the failing transition, and can you have a read of the log at the point you try the transition?

JB March 6, 2018

There are currently no validators on the transition. I have a post-function to update the resolution field on this final transition.

As far as a log goes I'm just looking at the Activity section at the bottom of the issue, where there is no entry for this final transition but every transition beforehand is recorded properly. Is there another log I should be looking at?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

It's the application log we should be looking at.  <jira home>/logs/atlassian-jira.log

JB March 7, 2018

Thanks for the clarification. I'm on Jira Cloud and can't access the log. I now realize I'm asking this question in the wrong space. I will repose the question over in Jira Software. Thanks again. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2018

Hmm, hard to tell without the log.  You'll need to talk to Atlassian support direct, on https://support.atlassian.com/contact

Does the issue history (not activity) tab show any updates when one of these transitions fails?

JB March 7, 2018

I've reached out to support and a technician is assisting me. Unfortunately there is no update under history (or the transitions tab) for the failed transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2018

That's actually slightly better - it means the transition is failing cleanly early on, rather than getting part way through and breaking your data.  On the down side, it stops is diagnosing anything on the front end!

Suggest an answer