Why are Release Burndown and Version Report not showing the complete original estimations?

Tiago Ribeiro March 2, 2020

I have set up a Release Fix version, with a big part of estimated issues (Tasks and Sub-task have the estimations). But I'm finding weird that both, Release Burndown and Version report are not showing the complete scope of work. As you can sess below they are showing around 140h, but the total amount I'm getting when using other methods (export to xls and eazyBI) is about 942h.

I was able to find an article mentioning that the Version Report ignores issues of the type Sub-task but I wouldn't expect that the effort was completely ignored. Is this the reason for both of them not showing the complete effort? 

Jira_ReleaseBurnodown.PNGJira_VersionReport.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2020

Hello @Tiago Ribeiro

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, neither of Jira Software reports consider the estimation added to sub-tasks, but only standard issue types. Shaun Clowes provides a detailed description of why Atlassian have followed this strategy with Jira Application in the thread below:

Rapid Board time estimates with subtasks 

That being said, we clearly understand this decision might not meet some of the use-cases of our customers, so we created the following feature requests to implement this functionality:

As a Jira Software user, I want the reports to take under consideration the sub-tasks 

Sum estimates from sub-tasks in user stories 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestions to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, there are some apps that provide you with the ability to sum your sub-task estimation to their parents, allowing them to be considered in the reports, like the one below:

Sum it up! 

Feel free to check the feature request to look for any other workarounds and let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer