Why Can't I set Component Value on Tickets?

Kathy Watters April 26, 2016

We have been using a component value on our tickets for a project.  Yesterday I moved the tickets to a new project.  Now, there are no values showing up for Component and when I go into edit mode for a ticket and choose "Component", I see the word "None" with no opportunity to edit the value.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2016

Components belong to projects, so when you move an issue from one project to another, the components have to change (usually deleted).  It will preserve them if you have the same named components in the target, but you have to make sure they are there before you move.

Also, not having defined the project component list is why you can't edit the "none" - there's nothing to change the value too yet.

All your moved issues will have a note of what component(s) were removed in the move in their history.

Kathy Watters April 26, 2016

Thank you!  That is exactly what happened.  The component values weren't set up for the project before tickets were moved.  Hopefully this answer will be helpful to another new JIRA user.  

1 vote
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2016

Did you check the list of components on the target project? If this is not set up, the values would be cleared when you move the issues.

Suggest an answer