Which of these directories under home are/can rebuild on JIRA restart/re-indexing?

Malyaj Shanker October 7, 2015

# ls -l home/ | grep ^d

drwx------. 5 jira jira 4096 Feb 13  2015 caches

drwx------. 4 jira jira 4096 Jul  1  2013 data

drwxr-xr-x. 3 jira jira 4096 Jul 27 16:03 export

drwx------. 4 jira jira 4096 Jun 10  2013 import

drwx------. 2 jira jira 4096 Oct  7 17:41 log

drwx------. 2 jira jira 4096 Jun 10  2013 logos

drwxr-xr-x. 3 jira jira 4096 Dec 19  2013 logs

drwx------. 2 jira jira 4096 Jun 10  2013 monitor

drwx------. 5 jira jira 4096 Jun 10  2013 plugins

drwx------. 3 jira jira 4096 Jun 10  2013 tmp

I found the document for Confluence with all the information https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-home-and-other-important-directories-590259707.html, but did not find for JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2015

Not quite sure what you're looking for here, but if you are asking just about re-indexing, then you'll find that the caches directory is heavily affected and the rest of it is untouched (beyond adding to the logs)

Malyaj Shanker October 9, 2015

I will be migrating our JIRA to AWS. Since AWS instance provides fast temporary storage (ephemeral disk), I am planning to mount all the directories which can be rebuilt on restart/re-index of JIRA on that. Like for confluence, the data in the following directories are regenerated on every Confluence restart/re-index. home/index home/plugins-osgi-cache home/thumbnails home/temp So the above directories are safe to mount on a destructible storage.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2015

No. Of that list, only "thumbnails" is totally safe. There's a lot of data in the other three directories which is ok to lose or delete, but it has consequences. Deletion of plugins-osgi-cache and temp means longer startup times and potentially some odd behaviour in places (nothing fatal, but you might get complaints). But the big one is losing the index. If you put that on ephemeral storage, you are going to have to do a full re-index of JIRA on *every* restart. Before you do this, test it. Will your users accept a full re-index on restart? Remember on large JIRA systems, you are looking at *hours*, not seconds.

Malyaj Shanker October 11, 2015

Yup, I was going to test re-index/start time of JIRA. That's why I was gathering the list of directories which are safe to play with.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events