When trying to delete a user Jira notes user has tickets. If searching for those tickets, there are no results

Thomas Hecker May 24, 2016

Hi,

I have the following isse: I try to delete a user. When doing so, JIRA promts that this user has three tickets assigned. When clicking on the link provided with that message, the search returns no hits.

Even if I search manually for tickets assigned to that user, I get no results.

So how can I find these ghost tickets and delete the user?

Thanks for help

Thomas

3 answers

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2016

I would generally recommend against deleting a JIRA user. Disabling the account makes it no longer count against the license and still lets you see the user history, work logs, etc.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2016

Two usual culprits:

1.  The project permissions and/or issue security don't allow you to see the issues that the user is assigned to
  2. There's an indexing problem

If the user themselves can't see their own issues, that often suggests the second issue on the index, as it's quite rare to set up permissions to stop the assignee seeing an issue) Is it possible to re-index your system and try again?

0 votes
Thomas Hecker May 24, 2016

Qucik comment: even if I log in as that specific user and search for the current user tickets, I get no matches

Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2016

Please check, that particular user might be added/assigned into some projects.

might be this also one of the cause of that problem. 

Suggest an answer