What should I do to add a waiting status in JIRA core?

Than Aung October 30, 2017

Does JIRA core support waiting for status on another user?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

I'm not sure I understand "waiting for status on another user", but I suspect what you want to do is add another step to your workflow called something like "waiting".

Than Aung October 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with the updating workflow is we might have to change the assignee for the waiting state in the workflow. (Without changing the assignee, I am not sure how to notify the person that we put waiting on or how that person will list all tasks waiting on his/her)

Was able to use "Add Field" option under the admin to add a waiting field which can be set to a user. Was able to create a JQL filter that lists the tasks that are currently waiting for the current user. The only issue with that approach is everytime a new task is created, have to add a field manually.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

Problem with that approach is you now have something that is "in progress", but not in progress, but waiting, at the same time.

Waiting is a natural status, not a dual one done with an extra field, and changing the assignee to who needs to attend to it is the best option.

I would automate this - have a "previous assignee" field.  When someone puts an issue into waiting, copy the current assignee into it, and force the person putting it into waiting to choose a new assignee.  Then copy it back to assignee when the person moves it back out of waiting. You'll need some add-ons to do that.

Suggest an answer