What's the different between using database Postgre and default setting database from JIRA Installation?

ferdianbagus August 7, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Connecting JIRA applications to a database

Hi Everybody,

1. I'm confused about the different between database using PostgreSQL and using default database configuration when we start setup JIRA in the browser?

2. What is benefit using PostgreSQL and default database?may be please give me image or example to explain my question.

Regrads,

Ferdian Bagus

2 answers

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

I haven't seen any major concerns or problems with any types of supported databases. For all intents and purposes they are all very supportable.

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2016
  1. HSQL is just a simple in memory database useful when testing a product. If the machine crashes during a run it could revert everything you have done to the last clean shutdown, as this would have been saved when the product was shut down. Postgre/mysql would update a database row by row, like a database should saving you from losses like this in case it fails. HSQL might have other restrictions.
  2. see 1.

Your real question should be: Should i use MySQL, Postgre or MSSql?

ferdianbagus August 7, 2016

Hi Jonas Andersson,

for question number 2...yeah I mean my real question is "Should I use PostgreSQL or MySQL?"

thank you for answer for my first question.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

JIRA 7 doesn't use HSQL any more, they've moved on to H2 instead.  However, it's still effectively file based and not suitable for production use.

Given a free choice of database back-end, PostGreSQL is first on the list (Atlassian develop against it and use it on Cloud) with MySQL in second place, Oracle third and MS-SQL in a very very distant fourth place.  In the real world, you should use one of those four, but it should be whichever one you are most familiar with and are most willing to install and support.

ferdianbagus August 8, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

For that statment :

"JIRA 7 doesn't use HSQL any more, they've moved on to H2 instead.  However, it's still effectively file based and not suitable for production use.

Given a free choice of database back-end, PostGreSQL is first on the list (Atlassian develop against it and use it on Cloud) with MySQL in second place, Oracle third and MS-SQL in a very very distant fourth place.  In the real world, you should use one of those four, but it should be whichever one you are most familiar with and are most willing to install and support."

Nic could you share link or information about that?

I need more information about that.

Thx Nic for your information

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

I'm not sure what you're looking for there.  The database docs start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/connecting-jira-applications-to-a-database-802592175.html but they don't go into a lot of detail because it's simply not that important to most of us running it - select the one of the supported four your organisation would support the best and use it.

Suggest an answer