What permissions are needed to link an issue between projects?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

From https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/linking-issues-185729497.html

bq. To create links on JIRA issues, you need to have the Link Issues permission in the project(s) to which the issues belong.

Apparently, that is not the way the UI works. It appears the user only needs the link issue permission on the source project. I don't really understand the logic for this behavior. It seems like the user can circumvent the permission by going to the other issue and starting the reversing link from there. The result being the same. This is wrong in my opinion! 

Is my understanding correct? In any case, either the documentation should be changed to match the behavior or code changed to match the documentation. 

2 answers

4 votes
Mohamad Khalife
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2016

it's a user permission to link issues starting from this project (outward linking), not a project feature to enable or disable linking to this project (linking feature is global and can be configured in global permission)

I think the documentation should be corrected since the behaviour is logical

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

I agree. As far as I can see a link issue permission in the source project and the browse issue permission in the target project iss all you need to circumvent the restriction.

Suggest an answer