What order do issues display on a sprint board?

Mark Hortman January 4, 2017

Why don't my highest ranking items rise to the top automatically?

It looks like if there are no sub-tasks on my issue it moves the issue to the bottom of the board even if it is the top ranked story.  Why?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

Are you using swimlanes?  If so, what is the setup for them?

Also, what Walter said.

Mark Hortman January 5, 2017

Yes the order by rank asc is set,    When you look at the backlog it is in the right order, but the Active Sprint is ordered by something different.  Not sure what.....

Swimlanes are set up by Stories.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2017

It's the swimlanes then - each story gives you a swimlane with its sub-tasks, and then the ones without subtasks are grouped together below in the "other" swimlane because they don't need to be displayed as swimlanes.

If you set the swimlanes to none, you should see the stuff in ranked order.

John Gill April 30, 2018

Is there a solution for ordering stories, and not disabling swim lanes? We want to have out tickets ordered, but not lose the power of swim lanes. 

Like # people like this
John Gill April 30, 2018

We allowed bugs to have subtasks, now bugs auto get a subtask so they can be moved to the top of a sprint. We don't like this solution, but hey, it works? 

Ray Oei July 23, 2019

Yes, that works. It's stupid... but it works... 

0 votes
Praven October 26, 2022

Looks Jira solved it and If anyone is still finding themselves here for the same issue,

You can either play around the card ranking or the Filter itself.

For card ranking,

Please open the Standard sprint filter and search for the cards in the Sprint.

Add the Sprint to the filter if needed

ex: project = P AND Sprint = 110 ORDER BY Rank ASC

Once you see the cards displayed, click on the ellipsis on the stories and select rank higher for the cards to be sorted to top of the Board, lower for bottom and so on.

Return to the board and it should be sorted.

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Does the filter behind your board end with "ORDER BY Rank ASC"?

Debbie Sackman June 14, 2019

I have the same problem, and yes my board filter ends with "ORDER BY Rank ASC". Anything new on solving this problem?

Matthew Kappel February 24, 2020

Any progress on this?

Ray Oei February 24, 2020

I have more or less given up that Atlassian will solve these kinds of usability issues. They rather focus on revamping the UI, and introducing other stupid 'improvements'... sigh... :-(

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer