What is the price of TestRail for Jira?

Annette G. October 26, 2015

In Atlassian marketplace I see that TestRail is marketed as a free add-on. However, when I read the Grurock website, there is a fee for using it. I only see that TestRail has a 30 day free trial license, which doesn't make the add-on for free in my opinion.

Can anyone tell me what the real deal is?

Thanks,

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2015

The add-on for JIRA is free.

TestRail is not.

If you want to use TestRail, you'll have to pay for it.  If you do decide to go with it, and you have JIRA, then the add-on will not cost you anythign more to add to JIRA or use.

Sanchi Budhiraja October 12, 2020

But without login into TestRail, we will not be able to use testRail from JIRA (correct me if I am wrong). So in anycase we need to pay for TestRail

Like gromov.i likes this
0 votes
Ellie Lock December 16, 2016

Hi Dennis,

If I am in the situation where I have 250 JIRA users, and 20 testrail users, and want to use the testrail for JIRA plugin.  Will I need to pay anything extra?  Will the JIRA users who don't have a testrail account still be able to see the testrail results within the JIRA issue?

Thanks,

Ellie

Dennis Gurock December 16, 2016

Hello,

You would need to have a login to TestRail in order to see the reports/dashboards or linked test results in JIRA, as this would be required for the secure access to TestRail and to enforce user/project permissions. You would not however need a TestRail license/subscription for other JIRA users who don't need access to TestRail or don't want to review the test result details.

Alternatively it's also possible to generate reports and forward them to non-TestRail users (you can even schedule this so reports are automatically generated). With TestRail's low per-user pricing, many teams invite e.g. their developers to TestRail as well as this can often make sense to help review test cases, review results etc. But it's no necessarily needed and you can even configure the integration so that TestRail would automatically include more details in the pushed JIRA issues, such as the test steps (you can configure this via the templates under Administration > Integration). The issues and description can be viewed in JIRA without a TestRail login.

In your situation a lot of teams would just get TestRail for 20 users, but with our large multi-user discounts it can also make sense to get TestRail for all 250 users (or something between that), depending on your needs. You can also email us at contact (at) gurock.com.

Regards,
Dennis

Probeer June 12, 2018

Hi Dennis, 

I got confused or we can say misguided by Get It Now button in Jira. Can you add single line in API at Jira market place that it need to be bought.

Like Rakshith_Kudlu likes this
Patricia Nardelli July 31, 2020

Yeah, it is weird to have free on marketplace, it is not totally free.

0 votes
Dennis Gurock November 8, 2015

Hi there!

Dennis from the TestRail team here. We specifically mention this as part of the add-on description as the first line:

(Add-on requires paid JIRA & paid TestRail 5.0 instance or trial)

Just like JIRA, TestRail is a commercial web application that helps teams be more productive. We invest a lot of resources, manpower and time to develop, test and provide TestRail to customers. The add-on itself is a free extra feature we offer to customers so they can also easily see linked test cases, results and reports in JIRA. We don't charge extra for these features, and a regular paid JIRA and TestRail account/instance is needed.

I hope this helps!

TwilightSparkle October 25, 2017

I saw that, but that is below in the more details section. I agree that right below a 'Get it now' button saying 'Free app' is misleading.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2017

The problem is that the app for Jira is free so the marketplace says that.  It's accurate, but doesn't know that this is a connector to a paid service.

0 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2015

Hello, I also recommend asking in their support page: https://secure.gurock.com/customers/support/ Best Regards, Rodrigo Sogari

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events