What is the most reliable way to re-establish AppLinks after a migration of Bamboo

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

I have recently performed what I initially thought was a successful migration of Bamboo from Windows Server 2008 to Ubuntu 16.

What I have found however is that the Application Link between Bamboo and JIRA - which is essential as we use JIRA to manage releases - was broken and has so far proven impossible to re-establish.

Initially, I deleted the link from JIRA and re-added it with the new Bamboo url. However, it did not display in the list, but was present in the database because I could not re-add it (nor, obviously, delete it).

I followed the instructions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-remove-application-link-directly-through-jira-database-285839519.html to delete the AppLink that is invisible in JIRA and then re-added it. However this made no difference - the AppLink is still invisible and cannot be used.

My question therefore is - what is the most reliable way for me to remove all Application Links, including 'invisible ones - from both JIRA and Bamboo and start over by creating them all from scratch.

1 answer

0 votes
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017

More investigations and questions. I performed the instructions (see above) to manually delete the AppLink from JIRA again in order to try re-adding the link to Bamboo a second time.

Three things were note-worthy:

i) After re-adding the link in JIRA, the jiraschema.oauthspconsumer.DESCRIPTION field contained the now obsolete Bamboo url. When re-adding the link I had entered the correct new URL - so where did the obsolete value come from?

2) The final step in manually deleting the link from the JIRA database is:

UPDATE jiraschema.propertystring SET propertyvalue = CAST(REPLACE(CAST(propertyvalue as NVarchar(MAX)), CHAR(10)+'81a4f178-e661-3322-9fd8-7f698bc56f42','') AS NText) where id in (
select id from jiraschema.propertyentry where property_key like 'applinks.global%'
);

It appears that this update is attempting to set the propertyvalue field to '' using the SQLServer REPLACE() function. But it does not work because the pattern parameter (the second parameter to REPLACE()) - CHAR(10)+'81a4f178-e661-3322-9fd8-7f698bc56f42' - is not what is in the field. Instead, the field actually contains '#java.util.List b1c1a933-eaa8-34dc-9a5f-cf2cb283ce3f' so the UPDATE fails to do anything.

3) When I re-added the link to Bamboo, exactly the same GUID as was previously assigned was used - '81a4f178-e661-3322-9fd8-7f698bc56f42'. Where does this value come from?

This issue is now becoming urgent and I would appreciate suggestions on how I should proceed with a fix.

Suggest an answer