What is the intended purpose of the Issuetype "Feature request"?

Melanie McConathy December 13, 2017

What is the intended purpose of the Issuetype "Feature request"?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

Usually means an issue for users to ask for new features for your software (this assumes you're using Jira for Software development of course)

Melanie McConathy December 13, 2017

Thank you for you response. Any thoughts on how Feature requests relate to Epics (if at all)? We've been looking at Feature requests as something that either a customer or Product owner submits to drive Epics. 

We like Epics to complete during a release. However, sometimes even an Epic is to big to get all of the desired functionality into a release. In this case, we are considering "Feature Request" to group epics that build the feature across releases. (And Epics group the user stories that build that feature).

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

It very much depends on how you want to manage your development work.

I tend to see features as stories with a different name (albeit a useful one which helps me see where they came from), and hence part of Epics, like stories are.

But yes, some feature requests might well be larger than Epics and need to be broken up into Epics and stories.  At that level, I'd want to keep them separate from the stories, maybe with another project, or by using Portfolio and doing them as "initiatives" instead of features.

Suggest an answer