What is the difference between Service Desk Automation and Automation for JIRA?

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

Service Desk currently provides automation capabilities, what does Automation for JIRA provide that it doesn't?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

Service Desk automation is very focused on the Service Desk/Helpdesk use case, whereas Automation for JIRA was designed to be a more generic solution for a broader set of problems.  As such, Automation for JIRA can be applied to JIRA Core, JIRA Software and JIRA Serice Desk.

In terms of capabilities, as of version 1, Automation for JIRA ships with roughly 24 triggers, conditions and actions (including 3rd party integrations with Slack and Twilio) compared with the 12 Service Desk ships with.

Matej K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2016

Is there a list of actions you can execute? I was trying to find out if you can clone an issue as an action.

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2016

Hey Matej,

You can copy/clone a rule by using the "create" action and passing in values from the original issue using smart values. If you can wait a week, I'm working on a specific clone issue action. I'm in travelling until monday so it will have to wait to then.

You can all the actions in product when you select to add an action, but it may be worthwhile for us to create a confluence page with a comprehensive list.

Cheers,
Nick

Matej K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2016

Awesome, thanks. I don't have running Cloud instance atm so I was wondering which actions are there. But great that you're working on the Clone issue action!

1 vote
Sam Speight August 21, 2016

Automation for JIRA is far more powerful than the SD one. As SD Automation uses a gui, it is far more limited in flexibility. The vast majority of my service desk automation is done using Automation for JIRA. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events