What is the difference between Jira structure add on and Jira portfolio add on in terms of features

Swati Jain March 8, 2018

Trying to set a project management office and want to structure our organisation. Want to know the add on features of Structure and portfolio and see what works best for us

4 answers

3 votes
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2018

Hi Swati,

As people mentioned above, Portfolio is focused on Program-level Portfolio management, while Structure is more like a universal tool to organize and manage your issues in user-defined, flexible hierarchies. You can check out the following topic for more comparison: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-does-Jira-Portfolio-compare-to-the-Structure-addon/qaq-p/330248

Where it comes to specific features, it really depends on what you need for your PMO. Some of the differences that come to mind:

• Portfolio
    • Provides teams and skills management.
    • Has timeline view and some built-in predictions.
    • Lets you define additional hierarchy levels above Epic level. The configuration is global (for all projects in Jira), and each level is tied to a particular issue type.
    • Focused on Agile program management.
  • Structure
    • Lets you create multiple, more flexible hierarchies, built in different ways. No limitations on what issues can be on what levels, each structure is built for a specific goal with specific rules.
    • Can calculate progress, totals and formula-based metrics, based on the hierarchy and issue data.
    • Comes with a free Gantt chart extension (Structure.Gantt).
    • Can support multiple teams working in different methodologies (Agile, Waterfall, Ad hoc)

As you see, each app has its strengths and benefits. We see some organizations use both apps quite well, as Structure can integrate with Portfolio. It's really important what challenges do you need to solve. 

Kind regards,
Igor

Disclosure: I work for the company behind Structure app.

3 votes
laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

Hi Swati, 

Structure lets you organize your issues in a way that helps your with Project management. Portfolio is for project Management, but works best with Agile, if your are using epics and versions for project planning.

There are more add-ons that can help you wit project management like bigpicture, eazy-by, profields, you will have to see your need and check which add-on covers them best.

Regads.

Swati Jain March 9, 2018

Thanks for the clarity. Can i know specifically which features I will be able to use specifically in structure and portfolio as a comparison and at independent levels apart from the basic jira tool we have. We use agile to work on projects. we want to now add project management over the top and get it a structured approach

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2018

I would advise you to read documentation and try both of the products

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2018

Hi Swati,

I see that you are asking about specific features. Why dont you test both of them in a test instance? You have a month free to try both of them and then choose which one you need.

Another way is to ask for a comparison to Atlassian partners experts in your country, if you are willing to pay for it.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2018

Structure is just the way to represent you issues as a structure. Portfolio lets you manage your project with SAFE methodology. Portfolio is a project management application and Structure is just a way to represent your issues.

Swati Jain March 9, 2018

Thanks for the clarity. Can i know specifically which features I will be able to use specifically in structure and portfolio as a comparison and at independent levels apart from the basic jira tool we have. We use agile to work on projects. we want to now add project management over the top and get it a structured apporach

Suggest an answer