What is the default jira filter sorting order?

Ben G October 10, 2016

When I do a JIRA search or navigate to the results of a saved filter, if I do not specify a sorting order what will the sorting order be? Is it sorted on a field or do they just appear in the order that the JIRA search engine found the matching issues? 

I've seen several posts asking to be able to change the default sorting order. I'm happy just using "ORDER BY" to specify an order, but I'm just wondering what order they are in if I don't. 

4 answers

0 votes
ftrujillojr May 13, 2020

I found a really simple work around on this issue.

Let's say I have 3 filters  and you want them in this order.

some filter

cool filter

abc filter

Just save / rename each with a number

1) some filter

2) cool filter

3) abc filter

Reload the page!  Voila!

0 votes
John Tolle April 16, 2019

This is not exactly an answer to this question, but it's related.  If you want to set the default sort order of the default filters, you cannot.  It's always Priority.  If you want that to change, vote and comment: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65785

0 votes
Vaishali Ghai December 21, 2016

Jobin Kuruvilla, Not Always. Sometimes it gets generated in an order other than key, name etc..Appears random at times, could it be order in which JIRA search found it?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2016

Default is the descending order of issue key.

Suggest an answer