What is the best way to learn how to write scripts for ScriptRunner?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Assume no prerequisite knowledge.  Where should I begin?  Are there any books?  (physical books)

4 answers

3 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

I think from speaking to various people that it's pretty clear that we are missing some basic tutorials, for people with no prior knowledge. And we'll work on that.

Most people I think get started by adapting examples found either here, or on https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/. But maybe other people have better sources?

2 votes
Mark McCormack _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

Hi Robert,

That's a great question - and I wish there was a book but I'm not aware of any. As for where to begin, I think you're already in the right place. Atlassian Answers (and Google) is a great source for finding problems and snippets of code that solve them.

But really, if you can get over the large hurdle I'd recommend getting yourself set up for ScriptRunner with a development IDE. If you do, then you'll get a lot more help via the autocomplete for all of the available Groovy methods as well as tap into the debug information too.

Where possible, I try to implement many of the examples in the documentation so that it helps me work out what it can do and where it might be extended.

I hope that helps, I'm sure the community will have good tips for you too.

regards,

Mark.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

Try starting with just the very basic knowledge on Java and Groovy coding.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

Ask questions here! There's a lot of people willing to help. smile

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

I did - so my question is, knowing nothing, where can I go to find materials to learn how to write scripts?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2016

I think you know what Steven meant, and we've given you the best answers we have at the moment.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events