What happens if the unlimited trial ends and my new license doesn't have enough users?

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2016

What happens if the unlimited trial ends and my new license doesn't have enough users? Example being JIRA Service Desk giving you unlimited Agents in the trial, and then you buy a license for 50 agents but you have 51+ users as agents. Does it limit it to 50 concurrent users logged in or will the license even install properly? Would you have to first buy a 100 agent license?

I think this applies to all Atlassian Application trials and licenses but I couldnt find anything in Answers or the FAQs. Please assist.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

In JIRA, if you have more active users than allowed by your license it doesn't stop working but you can't create new issues anymore. JIRA doesn'T know the concept of "concurrent users". If a user is granted Application access (prio to JIRA 7 - JIRA Users global permission) the users uses up a license, no matter if is actually using the system or not.

For JIRA SD please refer to: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk021/jira-service-desk-licensing-693896358.html#JIRAServiceDesklicensing-Thenumberofagentsexceedsyourlicenseseats

Apparently:

If you are experiencing this problem, you might have downgraded your license to a user tier that has fewer license seats than your agents. When this happens, your customers can still raise requests, but other JIRA Service Desk functionality will be disabled. This means that agents can only view issues and make internal comments, and they cannot perform other actions on issues any more, e.g. responding to customers. 

Cheers,

Steve Rhodes
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks. It seems that a lot of documentation has disappeared during the 3.0 upgrade and re-organisation. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events