What does a "Workflow Scheme" look like?

The documentation is full of self referential loops that don't seem to say exactly what a "Workflow Scheme" is. I have the same problem with "Issue Type Scheme". Please will someone show me an example of a "Workflow Scheme"  and an example of an "Issue Type Scheme"?

4 answers

Can't show you a real one from our system as they're company confidential, but a Workflow Scheme is what determines which workflow to use for a given Project/Issuetype combination.

• A Workflow Scheme has one or more Projects connected to it.
  • A Workflow Scheme has all applicable Issuetypes connected to it, all 'unassigned' Issuetypes get a default Workflow and you can override that for specific Issuetypes, let's say you want Bugs to follow Workflow A and 'everything else' to use Workflow B.

Hope this helps

Oh, and a Issue Type Scheme quite simply defines which Issuetypes are applicable/available on one or more Projects.

What is the difference between "applicable" and "available"?
When is an IssueType "available" and when is it "not available?"

When is an IssueType "applicable" and when is it "not applicable?"

Are you using the term "Bug" as an example of an issue type?

Hi,

Sorry for being unclear, English isn't my first language.

I used available and applicable alternately, but I meant one and the same thing - applicable. (But by being applicable - or maybe even better 'applied' - to a Project, Issue Types become available in dropdowns, etc. I hope I didn't obfuscate matters more.)

You apply a number of Issue Types to a Project via the Issue Type Scheme. The Issue Type Scheme is used so you can apply the same list of Issue Types to multiple Projects in case you have many Projects with the same set of Issue Types. (Phew! :o)

And yes, I meant for 'Bug' to be an example of an Issue Type in my text.

0 vote

Chapter 3 of "Practical JIRA Administration" (O'Reilly) describes each of the Seven Schemes of JIRA, including Workflow Schemes. Google will show the O'Reilly site, Amazon, Google Book and various unauthorized copies.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

71 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you