It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What are the different project types?

in JIRA 7.3 server, when I create a project I am presented with 6 options.

1. Scrum software development
  2. Basic software development
  3. Kanban software development
  4. Project management
  5. Process management
  6. Task management

What are the ramifications of each choice?

What workflows, permissions, etc. will result from each of these 6 options?

2 answers

I have checked the "documentation" here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/creating-a-project-861255642.html

It does not document the options.  It provides one example for how to create a project, a project named "Dragon Design Tees".

Any documentation on these 6 options would be remarkably useful when faced with deciding which option to select.  Please, someone tell me that I'm just blind, and I'm missing the documentation page that describes these options!

Found half of the answer here:   "Business" projects:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver070/project-types-and-workflows-777015800.html

Also, I'm guessing that Scrum software development and Kanban software development are similar except for sprints (i.e. Scrum is a template for using sprints and kanban is a template for managing tasks on a board with periodic releases). 

Still looking for information on "Basic software development". 

Pages like these (or one page with this data side-by-side), but for all 6 options would be a welcome addition to the 7.3 documentation.

Task Management

Project Management

Process Management

Thanks for the link, but what I'd really like is a list of each project type along with the workflow steps for that type.  I can do it myself by creating 6 projects and documenting the list on an internal web page, but then when Atlassian changes it again I'll be out of sync.  It surprises me that it's not something others want to see.  The way it is now one must create a new project in order to know what the workflow will be, but based on lack of feedback since 2017, it seems it's not a common request.

Thanks again for the link.

Like # people like this

hehe - of course when you click "next" it shows the workflow, just as I was seeking.  Clearly I need to create more projects so I remember that.  Apologies for the noise.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

1,347 views 8 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you