What are some examples of good and bad Components — especially compared to Labels?

Jeremy January 11, 2017

I struggle with the documentation comparing Components and Labels. It would be helpful to have good and bad examples of Components so that I can better make that comparison and understand when and why to use each.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2017

A good component would indicate a distinct part of what your project is for.  If you were building a computer for example, you might want components like memory, cpu, motherboard, case, power supply, graphics output and so-on.  A poor component name would be "display", because it's not a true component in hardware, it's a concept that crosses several components.  (On a raspberry Pi for example, there's an hdmi output, a minimum power requirement, a graphics processing system and some use of memory)

Labels are totally different.  They are tags to allow more arbitrary things to be looked at.  In the example above, "display" might be a good label because you can group issues together based on the label.

Edward N. Ndukui July 3, 2018

Let's say I have a project on developing some other kind of Facebook;

What would be some of the good examples of COMPONENTS I could have on Jira?

Like Njabulo_Nkosi likes this
josh_sutterfield December 18, 2020

The analogy I'd like to see anywhere confirmed is, is it like a software component? In other words these: API. iOS App. Android App. Website.

Or these: Windows application, xbox game, ps4 game, server. 

Those are the obvious guesses, and certainly it could be used in other ways but is that the sort of intended use? Just giving one such example would make it so much clearer. Even in projects not quite like these, people would understand the framing.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer