Webhooks not triggering in JIRA OnDemand if the url is HTTPS

Eswaran R October 11, 2015

Hi All,

Why Webhooks not triggering the external URL if that is HTTPS? My JIRA server is hosted in Cloud. Is there any settings/Configuration in JIRA to call a HTTPS url in webhooks?

Thanks

Esh

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2015

If you're trying to connect to a self-signed certificate, that will fail as the certificate doesn't exist in the Cloud instance's trust store. Cloud only allows connecting to SSL endpoints that have certificates that are signed by a proper CA (ie one that exists in the Java trust store).

You could either get a signed certificate (they're relatively cheap) or would need to look at connecting over HTTP (which is not recommended since the traffic isn't encrypted).

Also it will either need to be running on 443, as other traffic is not allowed through our outbound proxies.

Hi David, We enabled HTTP access in the destination url ONLY for JIRA Cloud instance. Actually we enabled port 80 in the destination server for this IP 104.192.140.178 (https://msi-dev.atlassian.net). Still not working, why?

Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

It would help to raise a support case for this at https://support.atlassian.com and we can have a look further. I went to raise one for you but wasn't 100% on which account to use, and didn't want you to miss the mail.

Eswaran R October 13, 2015

Hi David, my account email id is Aver.eswaran@gmail.com. Also we are planning to buy SSL Certificate to solve this issue. Are you sure if we buy proper certificate, Webhooks can able to trigger?

Dave C
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2015

I'm not sure if it will or not without looking further, we created a support case for you and can take a look.

0 votes

Also its self signed certificate in the url

0 votes

I configured manually. I did not write any addon. If I use HTTP instead HTTPS, its working without any issue. But I want to post only in HTTPS.

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
October 11, 2015

I would expect this to "just work". Just to confirm, you have configured this manually? You are not writing an Atlassian Connect addon?

Suggest an answer