We want one of our external vendors to use JIRA with us - how can we create a group security profile so that they can only see specific projects?

Amy Hall September 22, 2016

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

Yes you can. Create a group, add the users you want access to the project, create a permissions schema that allows them access and make sure that not the rest of the projects on the JIRA instance allows anonymous access, as this would grant them access to. The simplest way to see if some projects can be browsed by anyone is by simply logging out from JIRA and then visit the dashboard. 

Unfortunately I dont think its not that simple sad

Our administrators don't want to make all projects restricted - we want users within our company to be able to browse all projects... however, we want our Vendor to only be able to see a select few... 

Like AR Admin ادمن likes this
0 votes
Deleted user September 22, 2016

Amy, Noam and Jonas are correct, but let me see if I can clear things up for you.

1. You will need to create a new permission scheme "external vendor permission schema" (or what ever).
  2. Modify that schema to add the external users to the permission you want to allow for that project. You could define a user group ("vendors") if you have multiple users. I would recommend this approach as you can always add additional users to the group and everything will be done.
  3. Assign that permission schema to the vendor project you want to allow access to. If no other project uses that schema they will not be able to see/access any project but the one you assigned.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you!!

Michael Nadeau May 9, 2018

Can this be done in JIRA Cloud?

Noam Dahan May 9, 2018
lijuthomas September 5, 2019

Hi,

If permission access is set to access only a specific project, how can the vendor defects be linked to an epic(features that has multiple projects/vendors associated with it)? Any idea?

Thanks!

0 votes
noamdah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2016

Create a new Permission scheme:

1. Choose  > Issues
  2. Select Permission Schemes
  3. Click the 'Add Permission Scheme' link. 

And add the group of users to the new permission scheme Browse Projects and take them out of the old permission scheme Browse Projects permission.

Now configure the relevant project that you what then to see to the new permission scheme.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events