• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Core
  • Questions
  • We want one of our external vendors to use JIRA with us - how can we create a group security profile so that they can only see specific projects?

We want one of our external vendors to use JIRA with us - how can we create a group security profile so that they can only see specific projects?

3 answers

1 accepted

Yes you can. Create a group, add the users you want access to the project, create a permissions schema that allows them access and make sure that not the rest of the projects on the JIRA instance allows anonymous access, as this would grant them access to. The simplest way to see if some projects can be browsed by anyone is by simply logging out from JIRA and then visit the dashboard. 

Unfortunately I dont think its not that simple sad

Our administrators don't want to make all projects restricted - we want users within our company to be able to browse all projects... however, we want our Vendor to only be able to see a select few... 

Create a new Permission scheme:

1. Choose  > Issues
  2. Select Permission Schemes
  3. Click the 'Add Permission Scheme' link. 

And add the group of users to the new permission scheme Browse Projects and take them out of the old permission scheme Browse Projects permission.

Now configure the relevant project that you what then to see to the new permission scheme.

Amy, Noam and Jonas are correct, but let me see if I can clear things up for you.

1. You will need to create a new permission scheme "external vendor permission schema" (or what ever).
  2. Modify that schema to add the external users to the permission you want to allow for that project. You could define a user group ("vendors") if you have multiple users. I would recommend this approach as you can always add additional users to the group and everything will be done.
  3. Assign that permission schema to the vendor project you want to allow access to. If no other project uses that schema they will not be able to see/access any project but the one you assigned.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you!!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Calling all developers––You're invited to Atlas Camp 2018

Atlas Camp   is our developer event which will take place in Barcelona, Spain  from the 6th -7th of   September . This is a great opportunity to meet other developers and get n...

86 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you