• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Jira Core Server
  • Questions
  • We are currently using "original time estimate" instead of "story points" and want to use time estimates for story points but are only allowed to input them once the sprint starts. In addition, when we start the sprint, a notification pops up saying that

We are currently using "original time estimate" instead of "story points" and want to use time estimates for story points but are only allowed to input them once the sprint starts. In addition, when we start the sprint, a notification pops up saying that

Seth Frumkin November 30, 2016

We are currently using "original time estimate" instead of "story points" and want to use time estimates for story points but are only allowed to input the estimates once the sprint starts.  In addition, when we start the sprint, a notification pops up saying that x number of issues have not been estimed (the number of sub tasks).  Then when we add them after it is tedious and are treated as scope changes.

How can we allow time estimates for sub tasks in the backlog before the sprint begins?

4 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

Add the time tracking field to the Sub_Task create screen then. smile

0 votes

Not sure, but I don't see any estimate field for sub tasks

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

Why do you say you aren't allowed to add Sub-Task estimates before a sprint starts? That's not a normal thing.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

I don't understand why you're not estimating before you go into the sprint.  What have you configured that prevents it?

not sure but I don't see any estimate fields for sub tasks specifically until after the sprint starts

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2016

My apologies, I missed the "sub" in sub-task in the question

That means the "time tracking" field is not on the "create" screen for the sub-tasks.

This is actually the default, and it's broadly correct.  You are opening a can of worms if you try to estimate on sub-tasks, and that's why it's not defaulted.  Stick to estimates at story/issue/task level.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events