Want to capture reason for transition change in workflow

Debraj neogi November 2, 2015

With each transition change in our workflow, we want a selected list of values out of ALL values in our REASON custom field (dropdown) to appear. Simply said, this Reason dropdown has 20 values, roughly 4 each for each of the 5 transitions in the workflow. Now when I go from status A to status B, I do not want all the values to appear.

How can we achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

3 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2015

Being in the cloud you can't use scripts so I don't believe you'll be able to do it. even so, every time you go through a status change the field will be overwritten meaning you'll need to look in the history for the values at each transition. The obvious work around is to have a different select list field for each status change. the advantage to that is it will be easy to see what reason was used for each status as each will have its own field.

0 votes
Francois Bachmann May 13, 2020

Use the built-in resolution field and the jira.field.resolution.include property on the transitions to select a subset of values for each of them. Easier to maintain than custom fields... 

0 votes
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2015

With plain JIRA I would suggest different custom fields for each different set of REASONS you need. Let's say you have a transition "Postpone" and one called "Reject". You want different sets of reason to pick in each one. Create a custom field "Reason for postponing" and one called "Reason for rejection" offering the different seelctions you need.

If you can come up with two different issue types for each you may use the custom field context feature. However, you will not be able to get around to maintain two or more different sets of values I am afraid.

Best regards,
George

Suggest an answer