View screen tabs are not appearing with custom fields and data filled in

Jason Huntowski November 12, 2015

I have a screen. It has 2 tabs, completely custom named. In the two tabs, I have both system, name and custom fields. All of the fields are completely filled out and yet my tabs are not showing up on the view screen. I have assured that my Screen Scheme has the proper screens set for view issue and that the issue type is related (there is only one issue type in the project).

The system is constantly taking the information from my second tab and displaying the info in the details section of the view screen. It is not showing me any of my tabs. One of my tabs was named "Details" and details is showing as a section, not a tab. I realize that on the view screen, the Details section shows relevant system fields, but I have gone back and changed my tab names to custom names and still everything shows under the details section. I have re-indexed as well.

I thought I read somewhere once, that the view screen could be set to show as either a section view (turning the tabs into sections) or as a tab view (using the tabs as they are laid out in the admin section). But I can't seem to find the information again.

I am at a loss here. I have created new screens, mocking the original data and they display the tabs fine. I know everyone is going to say "Well, good! Then end of issue!" but I don't want to pass on this opportunity of knowing whether I can switch the view screen between a section view and a tab view or if I just had some weird occurrence when I created the screen.

Thanks for any help that can be given. 

3 answers

0 votes
Jason Huntowski November 13, 2015

Thank you Sachin and Gabrielle for your responses. I have assured that the information is being populated into the form and the view screen is showing the data, it's just not showing it in the tabs. It is compiling all of the information under the details section, completely disregarding the tabs.

Our JIRA, out-of-the-box has always displayed the tabs instead of the section view (as long as the fields are custom fields and not system fields that, by default, get placed in different sections on the view screen. I can assure that no additional coding or hacking was done as I was the one who rolled out the instance. Out of approximately 150+ custom built projects in our system, I would say about 90 of them show the tabs from the custom screens on the view screen.

I was almost certain that in my travels through the vast wasteland of JIRA documentation, I had read about a setting that would switch the tab view to a section view. I was just kind of looking for confirmation.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2015

Can you give us a screenshot of these 90 of them that show the tabs?

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2015

Create Screen and View Screens are different from each other. As far as I know, the "tabs" on the Create Screen will only be available in the Create/Edit Screens. The View Screen will always show in Sections (Details, Dates, People, etc..). I'm not sure where you have read that you can enable the "tabs"on the View Screen, but you will need to do some hacking/coding to the JIRA codes to do that.

viewscreen.png

Obviously, I do not have the time to take 90+ screen shots, but here is one of our more popular view screens. This is used on about 10+ projects currently. As you can see in the red circle, my tabs are showing (Submission Entry, Project Details and Project Owner/Developer). I blacked out sensitive information as well as only took the screen of the view area.

I am almost certain I read somewhere that the view screen could be changed between showing the tabs as tabs or as a section. I remember because I compared it to our old tool TeamTrack which only has a section view.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2015

Take a look at the documentation here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/defining-a-screen-185729487.html#DefiningaScreen-Configuringascreen'stabsandfields System fields on View Issue screen — System fields on the default 'View Issue' screen (e.g. Summary, Security Level, Issue Type, etc.) are fixed. This means that they will always appear in the same place on the 'View Issue' screen, even if you configure the Screen to move them onto a separate tab. Custom fields of related to Dates and People will also appear in their fixed section of the view issue screen. If none of the fields on a tab contain data then the tab is not shown. To make a tab show up, make sure it has a custom field with a type such as Text or Select and that the field has a value. Note, this information only applies to the screen associated with the 'View Issue' operation in a screen scheme.

Yeah, I read all that. I completely understand the nuances to the view screen and how system fields display in their respective sections regardless of where they are placed on the view screen configuration. I guess I am going to have to just count the issue I was having as a fluke. Because, once I remade the screens, it was displaying fine. The original screens that were discounting the tabs was made by a new user we gave admin access to our test environment. He was just playing around with the tool to see how he liked it and created the screen. I thought maybe he clicked something that changed the way the view screen displayed. I just thought someone might have some insight to my belief that you could switch the view screen between a tab view and a section view. Thanks again for all your help and time.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2015

Something this simple should be easy to troubleshoot. Sigh. What else have you check? For the fields in the missing tabs, do they have a value? Are they not "hidden" on your project field configuration?

0 votes
pawarsachin84 November 12, 2015

Hello Jason,

In JIRA you have different Issue Operation's for more information refer page (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/associating-a-screen-with-an-issue-operation-185729530.html ) 

On your Create Issue screen you have Tab1 & Tab2 and fields on both the tabs. If you want these both the tabs to be visible on view issue screen then for View Issue screen you will need to associate the same screen as that of Create Issue screen so that it will display same fields which were filled while creating. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events