Using Theme as an issue type

Juan Du Toit February 9, 2016

Hi,

JIRA v6.4.1

We want to use "Theme" as an issue type and then link Stories to that Theme.  Sometimes it also happens that a Epic is part of that Theme and we want to be able to link the Epic to the Theme.  Is this even possible?

Al I see in the issue types available is Theme - Sub Task.  How does this work and for what? Why is this not a Standard Issue Type? Currently I am finding this very confusing.

We used to use Epics to group certain functionality (As a Theme), but it has come to a stage where we have Epics in the Epic, which should actually be an Epic inside a Theme.  It is becoming really difficult to manage all of this.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Juan

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

You could add Theme as an issue type, but it won't directly contain Epics or other issues at the same level - you would need to come up with a way of consistently telling JIRA that "this thing is part of that thing" and adjust your usage to take account of it. 

The "theme - sub-task" is not something I recognise, so it's something your admins have added (possibly by installing an add-on?)

The Structure add-on can go a long way to doing that handling a more layered approach for you, if you want to give that a try.

Another option might be to use Portfolio.  Although it's aimed at programme management, it gives you "initiatives" which can contain Epics pretty much as you describe.

Suggest an answer