Using JIRA, how can I reserve a block of numbers?

James Shivers November 5, 2015

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2015

Generally you don't.  Could you explain what you are actually trying to do though, as that could lead us to a better answer than the handful of total bodges I am imagining.

James Shivers November 6, 2015

Sure. Within a particular project we want certain number ranges to coincide with particular issues. For example, hardware issues get a number in the 5000's while software issues get a number in the 6000s. I know this could be differentiated via separate issue types in the project, but I was asked to investigate further. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2015

OK, there's no way to do that at all. JIRA uses the next free number, and it never goes back to reuse numbers, even if you've skipped them. It's a pretty horrid way to differentiate between hardware and software, it sounds like an inherited bodge from a system that wasn't designed as a proper issue tracker. I'd take the opportunity to drop the idea from your processes and do it properly, with proper issue types or separate projects.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events