Use of projects vs components for small solutions within a platform

Stéphanie DeGuire April 12, 2016

Our organization recently adopted SharePoint and our team is tasked with maintaining the platform itself but also to develop solutions using SharePoint. 

I initially set up JIRA so that the SharePoint product is one project and all solutions we develop are their own respective projects. I created a category called SharePoint so I could report across all our initiatives. 

We have one scrum team to perform all the work, so I created a scrum board for the SharePoint category as opposed to one per project. This way, we see everything we need to do in one place and our platform owner can prioritize our work for us. 

The challenge we are facing is versioning. At the end of our sprint, we deploy a package. Custom code, content, configuration files. We would like to version that package but versions are not associated to categories. 

Should we just have one giant project and use components to list all the solutions built in it? 

What are the best practices for platform projects like this?

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

I suggest using the native functionality of JIRA Projects to take advantage of "Versioning", so I agree with your own suggestion. 

Suggest an answer