Upgrade from JIRA SERVER 7.3.8 to 7.7.0. Connecting to SQL database fails after uppgrade.

Sven Liang Jensen January 18, 2018

Hi,

I need to upgrade several JIRA server databases to latest version. We plan to merge some of them and buy more licenses on one larger database rather than having many 10-user databases.

I get problems connecting to the SQL 2014 database after you have uppdated your driver:

You'd want to change it to:

<url>jdbc:sqlserver://sqlserver_hostname:1433;databaseName=jiradb</url>

<driver-class>com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver</driver-class>

I have edited manually dbconfig.xml since we do not want to install JAVA on our server. I have also tried to delete the dbconfig.xml and get various error messages trying to connect to server following your suggested syntax: 

ELNO1SQL01/jiraagilenew:1433;databaseName=jiraagilenew;domain=delta.corp and

ELNO1SQL01/jiraagilenew:1433;databaseName=jiraagilenew

This syntax worked with server version 7.3.8 (other driver)

ELNO1SQL01:1433/jiraagilenew;domain=delta.corp

Fast reply appreciated since the license for some of the databases I need to merge expires soon.

Best regards,

Sven Liang Jensen

3 answers

0 votes
Sven Liang Jensen February 4, 2018

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/using-integrated-security-with-mssql-for-jira-939494383.html

SQL Integrated Sequrity. Following this procedure and changing the log-in on JIRA Service solved the problem.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Hi Sven,

Can you tell me what kind of errors you get?

Please provide a screenshot of the error on the Database setup screen and enable detailed SQL logging and provide a snippet of the logs that show the error when you attempt to connect.

Cheers,

Branden

1jpg.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

1.jpg was displayed when I uppgraded an 7.3.8 server version that was ok. I could access the SQL database (same as I later tried to connect to) before the upgrade

I tried  to edit manually (I don't like  JAVA on  our server) dbconfig.xml according to your instructions for manually edit. Think I got it right, but can not connect

Then I deleted the dbconfig to manually reconnect in 2.jpg and 3jpg.

I then installed JAVA just to get similar error messages

It is not possible to enable logging from inside JIRA when I can not log in. The link to detailed logging enabling is not possible to follow with the problem I have

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2018

Hi Sven,

There are other instructions that require you to modify the log4j file.  This is considered a "permanent change" but since you cannot login you can change them back when you're done, just make sure to backup this file:

To permanently enable SQL logging:

1. To have JIRA persist the settings they can be changed in the log4j.properties file. For example:
  2. OfBiz, set this to OFF to ON:

log4j.logger.com.atlassian.jira.ofbiz.LoggingSQLInterceptor = OFF, sqllog
  3. Active Objects, set WARN to TRACE.
    log4j.logger.net.java.ao.sql  = WARN, console, filelog

Cheers,

Branden

I found the file and changed according to your instructions. Access denied when trying to save or copy a file to this directory. I use a local administrator user on the server.

In the instructions it says I need to use a user with JIRA global administrator rights. I can not grant this rights to the user with remote desktop connection rights without logging into JIRA? Please advice

Is it not possible to suggest any solutions based on the problem description?

I have three more JIRA-instanses to merge. All of them is working now, and need to be upgraded to latest version of JIRA server. May I turn on the logging on these before I uppgrade? 

Sven Liang Jensen January 19, 2018

Hi Branden,

Any suggestions or tips I can try out when I get the same problem on one of the other JIRA-databases? I need to buy new license on one of them, but will see this problem through on one of the databases with valid support-license first. Do I need to file another support case under another SEN-number to get help?

Best regards,

Sven

Please be aware. This should be a strait forward upgrade from one 7.x release to another 7.y release. I did not expect so much trouble. NO USERS here at Eltek AS can access any data, even a full workday after the upgrade. I am not, and JIRA is especially not,  popular here at Eltek AS at the moment.

I will now upgrade another JIRA-database with a valid SEN, so please let me know if I need to do any special preparation that will make the upgrade go more smoothly. I expect 7.7.1 to be released soon so other customers don't have to get this ERROR on a straight forward mid-release.

Best regards,

Sven

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2018

Hi Sven,

Do you have a SEN that is not a starter license, e.g. more than 10 users?  If so you can get support through the normal channels as we have not been provided any log snippets, etc to see what could be going on. 

With a ticket you can attach a Support zip and provide the logs whereas here we can only get limited logging.  For this issue I have created a case and you should hear from someone shortly.  Please be prepared to increase logging as I have described unless they are aware of this behavior already.

Cheers,

Branden

I have this COMERSIAL SEN-9825988 which I am turning on logging for now and will try to upgrade from 7.3.8, which is working and connected to SQL database now, to 7.7.0. I expect the same connection problems here, and wanted to know before I start if there are special preparations I should make

Cheers,

Sven

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
January 19, 2018

No worries.  You will be receiving an update from the Support team soon and they'll be able to collect any logs needed and we'll go from there.

Great :).

I have now run into the same problem for this database (SEN-9825988):

Attempting to connect to the SQL Server database server...
Could not connect to the DB: Login failed for user 'elno1jiratest01'. ClientConnectionId:901fdc3a-08d8-40c9-bf43-aa46527dd60a

Do I need to file another support case?

1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

SQL logs enabled this time. I will zip and send them to the support representative contacting me. Thanks!

0 votes
Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2018

JIRA 7.7 requires Microsoft JDBC 6.2.1 Driver for SQL Server.   Are you using the same driver?

I downloaded and installed JDBC 6.2

Still don't work

Suggest an answer