Upgrade from JIRA 6.1 to Cloud

Samy Rabih February 27, 2017

Hi !

We currently have a JIRA 6.1 instance on our own server and we think about migrating on Cloud instance.

It seems we have to update our local instance to 7.0 to be able to migrate, but our licence is expired.

Is there any way to update JIRA without renewing licence (we try to avoid to pay to update JIRA AND to take a Cloud instance) or to import JIRA 6.1 data to Cloud ?

Thanks !

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2017

You will need to upgrade it to 7.3 not just 7.0

If you're moving to Cloud, Atlassian are getting a customer.   So although technically, you should buy a new licence, they are quite flexible as your intentions are good.  They will look the other way if you install an evaluation licence in order to get you upgraded and ready to jump to Cloud.

Samy Rabih February 28, 2017

But can I upgrade using the installer ? (will it break my JIRA instance if I haven't the licence ?)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2017

Yes.  You might find it easiest to put the evaluation licence in place before starting the upgrade.

More importantly though, test this process first.

Suggest an answer