Upgrade JIRA 6.x license to JIRA Service Desk 7?

leer-anofsinger October 6, 2015

All of the migration material seems to indicate that if you just own a regular JIRA license, with no Agile or Service Desk add-on currently, we are going to be automatically upgraded to a JIRA Software license.

Since we are getting the "upgrade" automatically and for free anyhow, why not allow us to upgrade to JIRA Service Desk?  Is it because of the difference in licensing price model?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2015

Great question Adam.

A significant majority of JIRA customers also own JIRA Agile, and an even greater percentage use JIRA for software development. Therefore, we felt that offering an easy migration from JIRA to JIRA Software would be the best way to make sure as many customers as possible got a simple upgrade experience.

The difference in the licensing model is the primary reason we couldn't offer an alternative migration path. JIRA Service Desk for 100 agents is priced much differently than JIRA Software for 100 users.

At the end of the day, for a given JIRA license, we need to offer you a renewal path and an upgrade path. While we considered a lot of options, we felt strongly than recommending JIRA -> JIRA Software for all current JIRA customers was going to offer the best experience in the highest possible number of cases.

That said, we do recognize that that doesn't mean we will get it right for everyone. That's why we invested in offering a detailed migration resource in the Atlassian Migration Hub, so that every customer had access to the information they need to make the right decision for them.

If you don't have JIRA Agile or JIRA Service Desk right now, but you are using JIRA for software development, we recommend upgrading to JIRA Software, since it is free with your existing JIRA license. If you decide that it's not the right thing for you, you can get a JIRA Core license for the same price you would pay to renew your JIRA license. And we have prepared a guide on migrating from JIRA Software for JIRA Core if you need it.

Cheers,

Dave Meyer

Product Manager, JIRA

leer-anofsinger October 7, 2015

Thanks Dave, great answer! I guess we are in the odd boat of using JIRA for all three - business, IT, and software - but probably mostly IT/Software. But we have never used it to its full potential (we don't have either add-on). So I guess I'll just be thankful for the free upgrade to Software, and we'll try our best to see if we can't use the additional tools! Thanks again!

0 votes
Frederic BIDET October 20, 2015

Hi. What if I want to upgrade from my actual "51-100 users" JIRA 6.x license to a "16-25 agents" JIRA Service desk license ? Do I need to buy a new 6500 $ Service desk license and throw away my previous JIRA license, or can I just upgrade to Service desk and pay the 3250 $ maintenance renewal ? Thx !

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2015

Well, they're selling JIRA Software heavily, but if you don't have Agile or Service Desk, then I'd suggest you look at just JIRA Core - that's (almost) "regular JIRA with no add-ons".  I'd contact sales and explicitly tell them you just want Core.

Suggest an answer