Update fields on linked issue screen

LUP Infrastructure Team March 13, 2018

Hello, 

Background: 

We have JIRA Service Desk as one project and a separate project which we put items into that relate to Infrastructure requests. 

On the Infrastrucutre requests project, we have some mandatory fields (some of them custom) to force our users to put in the right information when they are asking for changes to environments. 

Problem: 

Now where I am running into issues, is that when I am trying to use the "create linked issue" function in Jira Service desk project to create a linked issue asking for an upgrade of some kind in the Infrastructure requests project, because these mandatory fields are not shown, I am getting errors trying to create the linked issue. 

Does anyone know how I can amend the create linked issue screen to include the mandatory fields so I can create linked issues? 

The work around I have now (but is a pain) is to create the seperate issue and then link them manually. This would be so much easier if the link issue screen could be amended like the other create, edit and view screens in each project. 

Cheers, 

Jerome. 

1 answer

2 votes
Amirul Ikhwan Omar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2018

This is currently not possible in JIRA. There is existing feature request here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-60483. Please help to vote on the suggestion. Please find the workaround below as suggested in the ticket.

Workaround
In order for a field to show up, you will need to first add it to the create issue screen relevant to the project.
Then, in the field configuration, the field in question has to be configured to be a "Required" field.
Following these instructions will make the field in question show up in the create linked issue screen.

Holly Meza January 11, 2021

Hi Amirul, 

I'm having a similar issue, where the field shows up fine on the Create Linked Issue screen (if it's on the related issue type Create screen + is required in the workflow for that Issue Type), UNLESS it's populated in the original issue. 

For example, we have a Service Request type which has an Approvers field. We link these to Changes. If the Service Request already has an Approver on it, it does not show on the screen to create a linked issue. If Approvers is not populated, it presents the field on the Create Linked Issue screen. 

Is this a known issue with Atlassian? How can I work around this?

Suggest an answer