Unable to search an issue in JIRA

Sumit Gupta June 14, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Searching for issues and filtering

I am unable to find issues created in JIRA using advanced search although I am able to go to issue directly by specifying the key in issue box on top right. Can anybody help?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2016

You may have a broken index, but could you tell us what "advanced search" you are using to start on the debugging?  Just the plain text of the JQL please

I have created 2 projects in JIRA and 2 sample issues in each. I was unable to find either after which I modified permissions and issue security settings. All 4 issues got available in search results.

I created more issues in both projects which are not available in results. Older issues are still available.

Query is just - project = XYZ.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2016

Ok, I need to simplify this down to a basic test.

Create a new issue in XYZ.  Go to somewhere else in JIRA outside the current project (dashboard is fine).  Type the new issue ID into the quick search - do you get taken to the issue?  Next test, go back to your "project = XYZ" search - does it appear in the list there?

Hi Nic,

Someone performed a background re-indexing and it worked for all previous issues. But now when I create another one, I still can't find it in advanced search although I can navigate using quick search. Is this an indexing issue even after running it again? Seems like every new issue I create is not available in the advanced search. Surely, there is no need to re-index every now and then? Can you please suggest.

And just to add one more observation, when I update the issue after creating i.e. say I change the assignee, the issue starts showing up in search results. It's strange behavior but is there any setting that I am missing here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2016

There's something wrong with the create issue process, it's not indexing correctly.

Could you check what validators and post-functions you have on "create issue"?  List them all here.

Suggest an answer