Unable to move tickets vertically in Kanban board

Devon Sparks November 19, 2020

When I attempt to move a story vertically in the To Do column, I'm getting an error that states, "unable to move ticket # - Internal Server Error." I checked my filters and column statuses. Nothing is jumping out at me as a problem that could be causing this issue. I also am unable to reorganize/move tickets from the backlog view. 

3 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

Hi Devon - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Check your board filter to make sure that you have an Order By Rank at the end of it. You must have that to be able to drag tickets vertically.

If that's okay, then also check to make sure that you have Schedule issues permissions in the Permission Scheme for that project.

As Fazila notes, you cannot move between statuses in the same column. Moving tickets vertically only changes the priority of the tickets. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

You will need to click on the Actions button in the upper right hand side of the Permission Scheme to edit it. If the scheme is shared, you will need to be a Jira Administrator to edit it. 

Can you see if you have the permission to Schedule Issues or not? 

Like Magdalena Zhisheva likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

@Devon Sparks  - Any update here? 

Jayce Lee June 6, 2023

Hi @John Funk  - Question:  I'm having a similar problem here and since we moved to new JIRA Cloud, only some of my "issue" types in my project has the ability to move ranking and some issues have been disabled. I can't seem to edit the ranking in the board settings. Is there a way to enable this or do I have to re-create all the kanban boards?Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 5.50.36 PM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2023

Hi Jayce - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That's probably because your board filter does not have ORDER BY Rank on the end of the query. So edit your filter, add that on the end and save it. Then you should be able to rank the issues on the board. 

0 votes
Laura Heian May 26, 2022

I am experiencing this issue as well and have not yet found the solution elsewhere so am dropping a note here.

To clarify, I have "Order By Rank ASC" on the end of my filter for my board and I am able to order my 'Tasks' but I have both Tasks and "Stories" (lists of tasks?) on my board and when I go to move the Stories, I cannot.  I can re-order the tasks associated with the Stories, within the Stories.  But, I cannot re-order the Stories with the other Stories in the To-Do column (for example.)

I do have permission to Schedule Issues.

I hope this helps this question get answered.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

Hi Laura,

What type of project are you using? And just to clarify - you can't have tasks within stories because they are at the same level. 

Laura Heian May 26, 2022

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply!

That's interesting... you're right, they're not "Tasks," they are "Sub-tasks."

What "Type of Project" am I using...The Project Type is Software.

Does that help?

Best,

Laura

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

Ah, you are not able to sort sub-tasks like other issue types. There was a request opened a while back, but Atlassian closed it as something they were not going to do.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-12578

Laura Heian May 26, 2022

Sort of?  Maybe?  I'll have to read that carefully, but it doesn't seem like my issue on quick skim.

I can drag / drop prioritize sub-tasks within stories, on the kanban, but I can't drag / drop prioritize the stories and I can't move the sub-tasks in or out of the stories.

I am thinking about removing the stories from the board and just keeping the sub-tasks, but the sub-tasks don't show the epic label.

Thanks so much for your help / time and attention on this issue for me! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2022

No you won't be able to move the sub-tasks out of the stories using the board - you will need to go to the sub-task issue and change the parent there. But you should be able to move the stories up and down. 

Laura Heian May 27, 2022

I can't move the stories up and down... I can't seem to pick them up?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

Will it not work with any stories? Or just the ones with sub-tasks?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2022

Could you confirm a couple of things for us?

1) You say " I have "Order By Rank ASC" on the end of my filter for my board".  I'm worried about the "on the end of".  Could you have another look and confirm that "Order by Rank" is the only order by clause?

2) When you talk about moving issues up and down in a column, do you mean simple re-arrangements, or are you looking at columns that have more than one status, so your "move" means "changing status to one that is in the same column"?

Laura Heian May 31, 2022

Hi Nic!

1. "ORDER BY Rank ASC" is the only Order By Clause.

1. issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes(), Task, Sub-task)
      AND (
      assignee in (LIST OF ASSIGNEE ID NUMBERS) OR project = "PROJECT IDENTIFIER"
      )
      ORDER BY Rank ASC
  2. I am not intending for my move up and down to change the status... I am only hoping to change the priority.

1. My workflow is "To Do; In Progress; DONE" for Epics, Stories, Tasks & Sub-tasks
    2. One Column for each.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 9.14.15 AM.png

@John Funk, this might be key...

Oooh... is it here: "issuetype in (subTaskIssueTypes(), Task, Sub-task)" because Stories & Epics "aren't" on the board?

The stories appear as frames around the sub-tasks which visually, I like. However, that means it doesn't allow me to separate the sub-tasks, which is annoying... and I can't prioritize the stories, as we've been discussing.

I'm learning a lot about Jira through this example, btw.

Thanks!

Laura

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2022

Yes, probably so. You might want to try creating a quick filter that hides the sub-tasks and then see if you can change the order of the stories. 

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

@Devon Sparks  , Welcome to community.

Does the column has multiple statuses associated with it? When you move with in the same column, that could possibly do a status change also. If so, check whether you able to change the status of the ticket outside the board.

If there is only one status to the column, check the filter of the board. Does it have order by rank? Do you have schedule issue permission in the project? 

Devon Sparks November 20, 2020

Thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate it. The column does not have multiple statuses and the filter of the board is ordered by rank. I have admin rights to the project, but under project settings, I can see schedule issue permission in the project I don't see an option to change it. The weird thing is that we have additional boards with the exact same columns/statuses and filters, but geared towards the individual boards and I can move tickets just fine there. I'm totally stumped.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events