Unable to create sprint

Ipsita Dash June 9, 2017

Hi,

I am the board admin, project admin. Even after that my "create sprint" option is inactive.

Please let me know how to activate the option.

Thanks,

Ipsita Dash

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Dear Ipsita,

What version of JIRA are you using?

What Tarun stated above is indeed true, yet this is not the case for all versions of JIRA.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Ipsita Dash June 9, 2017

Hi Jeremy,

I am using 7.2.9 version.

Thanks,

Ipsita Dash

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Dear Ipsita,

Indeed quite a new version that has the ''Manage Sprint'' permissions. Are you a jira administrator on the environment itself? If so, try to find the ''Permission Helper'' on the right search bar or in quick search.

You can give a Issue number that is in the project you have a problem with and see if you have the ''Manage Sprint'' Permission.

1. Choose Issues
  2. Click Permission schemes.
  3. Click Permission helper.
  4. Enter the following details:
    • Your username
    • The issue key of the issue in the project you do not have Manage sprint acces to.
    • The project permission that you want to check, Manage sprint.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

0 votes
Abhay Patil May 23, 2023

I had the same problem - and the reason was the board was not able to figure the project \ because the filter query was complex - even if it clearly was for exactly one project for which I had the right permissions. Had to split the query to make it look simple as follows:

project = my-project and filter = ComplexPartOfQuery

With this board was able to figure the project and allow me to manage sprints.

0 votes
Leena Bakshi December 14, 2017

Ipsita, did you find a solution for this because I am facing the exact same issue as well

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

I thinks Ipsita worked out how to check they had permissions for all projects the board *might* include.

Like Florian Luber likes this
gianfranco franceschi December 18, 2017

I am having exactly the same problem;

thanks to the answer above I checked the permission helper and the response was that the user does have Manage Sprints permission ... yet the button is still grayed ... grrrr

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

For all the projects the board might include?

gianfranco franceschi December 19, 2017

Yes Nic, for all the projects that the Board might include ... I just did check personally one by one, even those that did not have any issue in the backlog as of now.

And I even think that the previous system admin just used the same permission scheme for all projects, thus it should not be an issue ... 

Still confused ... ;-)

Sara December 19, 2017

@gianfranco franceschi and @Leena Bakshi,  did you include "not in (Projects list) in board Filter Query. If you include "not in" project list,  you should give admin permissions for all projects except not in. Please double check your filter query board -> configure. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2017

>think that the previous system admin just used the same permission scheme for all projects, thus it should not be an issue 

That's not true.  What happens if the permission scheme says "manage projects: role (p-admin)"?  A user might be in the role in project 1, but not in project 2.  Same scheme, different user access.

Two more questions to investigate:

Could you try simple brute force on the board filter.  Where you have JQL for "<some clauses> order by rank", change it (temporarily!) to "Project = <main project on board> AND (<some clauses>) order by rank".  Check if you still have no admin.

Could you run a filter for "sprint = x ", where x is the current sprint if you have one, or the previous sprint if you do not.  Are there any issues listed outside the projects of interest?

gianfranco franceschi December 20, 2017

Hi Laxmi, Hi Nic, 

thanks a lot for your hints, I've been able to solve the problem by modifying the filter, and thus restricting the number of projects included in the board. 

Now all Scrum Masters can start, stop, and create Sprints.

best,

Gianfranco

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2017

Hello Ipsita,

Please make sure that in the project's permission scheme you have the "Manage sprint" permissions.

If the board uses issues from multiple projects then for all those project's permission scheme you need to have the "manage Sprint" permission in the permission scheme and not just the board or project admin.

Ipsita Dash June 9, 2017

Hi Tarun,

I have "Manage sprint " permissions.

Thanks,

Ipsita Dash

Suggest an answer