Unable to create new subscriptions - Unable to create the Quartz job and trigger

I recently restored my JIRA instance from backup, and now none of my subscriptions work. I deleted them all and tried to create them again and now I get this:

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: com.atlassian.scheduler.SchedulerServiceException: Unable to create the Quartz job and trigger

I followed these directions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Upgrade+to+6.3+Fails+Due+to+Unable+to+create+the+Quartz+trigger

I have no records in qrtz_triggers (or any of the related folders), but it still does not work.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Chris Fuller Atlassian Team Nov 05, 2015
  1. It would be particularly important to make sure you delete the corresponding entries from the cron triggers list, too.  Quartz is not very forgiving of finding its data in an inconsistent state.
  2. In JIRA 6.3, the quartz tables were restructured (that's what the upgrade task in that KB article is on about). However those instructions are for when the upgrade fails, not when it has completed (apparently successfully) and the subscriptions are simply failing to act as you expected.  The data for them will have been moved to the corresponding jquartz tables, so any SQL surgery would have to be performed there, instead.
  3. When you run into problems like this, it is generally because there is something wrong with the existing triggers that Quartz's job store doesn't know how to deal with.  You can usually get more information about what specifically is going wrong be enabling DEBUG logging on com.atlassian.scheduler, which will log considerably more information about what it's doing and what trouble it runs into.  The problem is usually that it is having trouble reading one of the triggers, so it pretends it does not exist.  When it then tries to create one with that name, there is already one in the way.
  4. This gets a lot better in JIRA 7.0.  I replaced Quartz with something called Caesium that uses a much simpler and robust datamodel.

Deleted cron triggers - still fails. Where do I turn on DEBUG for the scheduler? When I click on System->Scheduler Details, I get an error: "Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation." Upgrading to 7.0. If that does not fix it, maybe I should do an XML export and import?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

78 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you