Unable to create new subscriptions - Unable to create the Quartz job and trigger

laurinkeithdavis November 5, 2015

I recently restored my JIRA instance from backup, and now none of my subscriptions work. I deleted them all and tried to create them again and now I get this:

com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: com.atlassian.scheduler.SchedulerServiceException: Unable to create the Quartz job and trigger

I followed these directions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Upgrade+to+6.3+Fails+Due+to+Unable+to+create+the+Quartz+trigger

I have no records in qrtz_triggers (or any of the related folders), but it still does not work.

1 answer

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2015
  1. It would be particularly important to make sure you delete the corresponding entries from the cron triggers list, too.  Quartz is not very forgiving of finding its data in an inconsistent state.
  2. In JIRA 6.3, the quartz tables were restructured (that's what the upgrade task in that KB article is on about). However those instructions are for when the upgrade fails, not when it has completed (apparently successfully) and the subscriptions are simply failing to act as you expected.  The data for them will have been moved to the corresponding jquartz tables, so any SQL surgery would have to be performed there, instead.
  3. When you run into problems like this, it is generally because there is something wrong with the existing triggers that Quartz's job store doesn't know how to deal with.  You can usually get more information about what specifically is going wrong be enabling DEBUG logging on com.atlassian.scheduler, which will log considerably more information about what it's doing and what trouble it runs into.  The problem is usually that it is having trouble reading one of the triggers, so it pretends it does not exist.  When it then tries to create one with that name, there is already one in the way.
  4. This gets a lot better in JIRA 7.0.  I replaced Quartz with something called Caesium that uses a much simpler and robust datamodel.
laurinkeithdavis November 6, 2015

Deleted cron triggers - still fails. Where do I turn on DEBUG for the scheduler? When I click on System->Scheduler Details, I get an error: "Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation." Upgrading to 7.0. If that does not fix it, maybe I should do an XML export and import?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events