Unable to create a board no mater what project I type I choose

Trevor Trujillo January 9, 2020

We have Jira Core Version 8.5.1. I would like to create a board but do not have the board Tab or the option of selecting magnifying glass and searching other boards. This is a fresh install and in order to sign off on using Jira, the board's feature is needed. All knowledge base articles seem to loop back to the same article that just describes board usage in Jira core. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

Jira Core boards do not have a "create" option. 

You get one board for each project automatically, if you are on Cloud as you tagged this question. 

But as you said Jira 8, that says you're on Server, not Cloud.  Server Core projects do not have boards (but can be included in Jira Software boards if you have Software)

Yes, Jira core is installed on our server. Apologies for the tag, it was automatically added to this community posted when posted. Since Server Core projects do not have boards what Jira software is needed? I looked for Agile board plugins but it stated it was incompatible with version 8+ as its been added to the Install package. 

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

I am an idiot, thank you for your help. Switched over to Jira Software from Core and now see the ability to created boards as well as the boards tab. 

Like Ansar Rezaei likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

No, you're not an idiot.

Atlassian have documented all of this, but there is... just... so... much...  Lots of options, lots of divergence, it's confusing for even those of us steeped in it. 

Don't worry about the tagging either.  One of the big complaints the community answerers have had is not having any clue whether people are asking about Cloud or Server.  So it was adjusted to force the question.  This has helped a lot, but we know people are still going to get it wrong.  I think it's a massive improvement - we seem to have stopped thinking "bother, we need to ask the question yet again, why the heck can't they just tell us the basics" and started thinking "oh, this person is unsure if they mean server or cloud, let's assume they genuinely don't know"

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

I think Boards exist when you have JIRA Software installed and Licensed. 

We have Jira core is installed. It's licensed with a trial license I've ran through the following suggested troubleshooting here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/boards-navigation-button-missing-in-jira-software-server-799801745.html

None of these issues apply. 

Based on the articles below it appears boards isn't a feature in core.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Board-on-JIRA-Core-server/qaq-p/1003749
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Can-I-create-a-board-on-JIRA-CORE/qaq-p/143729

0 votes

To add to this, I've tested creating multiple projects with default workflows. All of which do not show the Boards tab as suggested in other community posts.

Suggest an answer