Unable to assign certain users to an issue in JIRA

Martin Hansen September 27, 2016

This seems to be for all Projects and issues in JIRA.
We have a group which is a member of JIRA Developers, this group is defined as "Assignable User".

Of this group, there are 4 users who can't be assigned to any project, it's as if they've been removed from the group, as they don't show up when we try assigning them.

Searched for other QA's, but couldn't find any that described only a few users.

Did a check in the User Management, just to see if I could see anything that was common for these users, and I saw that 2 of them was registered as "never logged in", and the other 2 had "never logged in" as well as tens of "login failures" registered on their user.
Spoke with one user, and even though it said never logged in plus many login failures, he has indeed logged in recently in the past, although with some login issues. 

Then checked User Directories, and the Active Directory I have set up is listing:
Last synchronised at 9/27/2016 3:14 PM (took 0s).
Synchronisation failed. See server logs for details.

The logs say that it fails to synchronize due to the inability to add a few groups:

2016-09-27 15:42:20,741 Caesium-1-3 WARN ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] Could not add the following entity to the directory [ Crowd Internal Directory ]: RDS Endpoint Servers

2016-09-27 15:42:20,741 Caesium-1-3 WARN ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] Could not add the following entity to the directory [ Crowd Internal Directory ]: RDS Management Servers

2016-09-27 15:42:20,741 Caesium-1-3 WARN ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] Could not add the following entity to the directory [ Crowd Internal Directory ]: RDS Remote Access Servers

2016-09-27 15:42:20,741 Caesium-1-3 INFO ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] added [ 0 ] groups successfully in [ 21ms ]

2016-09-27 15:42:20,741 Caesium-1-3 INFO ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] synchronized [ 72 ] groups in [ 30ms ]

2016-09-27 15:42:20,751 Caesium-1-3 INFO ServiceRunner     [c.a.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory] failed synchronisation complete for directory [ 10100 ] in [ 175ms ]

2016-09-27 15:42:20,813 Caesium-1-3 ERROR ServiceRunner     [c.atlassian.scheduler.JobRunnerResponse] Unable to synchronise directory

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.OperationFailedException: Failed to synchronize directory group attributes for missing group: RDS Remote Access Servers

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher.synchroniseAllGroupAttributes(AbstractCacheRefresher.java:129)

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher.synchroniseAll(AbstractCacheRefresher.java:94)

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.ldap.cache.UsnChangedCacheRefresher.synchroniseAll(UsnChangedCacheRefresher.java:168)

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory.synchroniseCache(DbCachingRemoteDirectory.java:1122)

at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.directory.DirectorySynchroniserImpl.synchronise(DirectorySynchroniserImpl.java:76)

at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.JiraDirectorySynchroniser.synchronizeDirectory(JiraDirectorySynchroniser.java:77)

at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.JiraDirectorySynchroniser.runJob(JiraDirectorySynchroniser.java:52)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:153)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:118)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:97)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.launchJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:453)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeClusteredJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:447)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService.executeQueuedJob(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:394)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.caesium.impl.CaesiumSchedulerService$1.consume(CaesiumSchedulerService.java:279)

How do I correct this? 

Thanks! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I found the solution, it was to add a Group Object Filter as explained in this article https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-43495, where I input each of the groups that triggered the error in the catalina.out log above.

Synced the directory, and the user was able to login without issues, and was immediately available in the assign user list, as you mentioned.

0 votes
Ranganath HV Gowda
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2016

JIRA will pick assignable users once the users have logged into System.
These users should have access to respective projects from which tickets will be assigned to them.

Ensure these users are part of JIRA Developers group which you're referring too

JIRA will not pick the users unless they have logged in for first time and get their JIRA ID's activated.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yeah, that's what I initially thought as well when I saw that they seemingly never were logged in. But as I explained, one of the user indeed recently had logged in, so this information is somehow misrepresenting the case.
From the server logs it seems that this might be a sync issue - at least I'd have to address the sync issue, then I can take it from there if the issue persist. 

Do you have take on how to solve this "failed to synchronize group" issue?

Suggest an answer