Trying to find out how many bugs were opened between a certain date range

Can anyone help me with the JQL for finding out how many bugs were opened between Oct.4th and Nov. 29th I would then like to know how many bugs were closed in the same timeframe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Sam Hall Community Champion Nov 29, 2016

Hi Scott,

Something like these

Created between Oct 4th and Nov 29th:

Type = Bug AND created >= "2016/10/4 00:00" AND created < "2016/11/30 00:00"

Closed between Oct 4th and Nov 29th:

Type = Bug AND resolved >= "2016/10/4 00:00" AND resolved < "2016/11/30 00:00"

Sam

Thanks so much Sam, I almost had it but was messing up the date range entry method. Really appreciate the help!

Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Nov 29, 2016

Those JQLs are correct. However, they do not have into account the possibility of reopened issues (if your workflow allows to do so):

• Should issues reopened during that time frame be counted as created issues?
  • Should issues resolved in mid October and reopened in November count as resolved issues?
  • Should issues resolved during the time frame and reopened afterwards count as resolved issues?
Sam Hall Community Champion Nov 29, 2016

Good point Ignacio. 

What would your suggestions be to count re-opened issues? 

It does tend to get a bit complicated. For example:

Type = Bug AND (created >= "2016/10/4 00:00" AND created < "2016/11/30 00:00" OR resolution CHANGED TO Unresolved during ("2016/10/4 00:00", "2016/11/30 00:00") )

Sam

Ignacio Pulgar Community Champion Nov 29, 2016

Sam, it entirely depends on the purpose behind the query, but your new JQL for created issues looks preferable to the previous one in most of the cases.

Good point, however, it's not particularly relevant in my situation as I am aware of issues that have been re-opened. Thanks again for your help!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Feb 15, 2018 in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

1,131 views 6 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot