Transitioning to Jira agile, do I need to create new issue types?

Deleted user January 31, 2016

A division in our company is responsible for purchasing new server equipment on an ongoing basis. They have until now used a Trello board to manage the process of purchasing this equipment. They have the following columns on their board:

• researching providers
  • account setup
  • Awaiting delivery
  • provisioning
  • in production

Would I be correct in saying that in order to transition this department to JIRA agile boards we need to create the above as new 'issue statuses' together with a workflow and new issue type e.g. 'equipment purchase' and then associate the workflow with the new issue type through a workflow scheme? This would then allow us to setup a board in the same way they are currently used to.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2016

Depends on what you plan to use the issue types for.  You've effectively listed a workflow, which is fine, but the issue types are not really covered.  As you've suggested, you do hang configurations off the issue type, including the choice of workflow. So it would make sense to have an issue type for each type of item that needs a different workflow.

In short, I think you've got the right idea.  I'm just not sure that you need a new issue type, but if you want to keep the language consistent, "equipment purchase" would be absolutely clear on what the task is representing, and I'd probably add it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events