Transition Field validator for Time Spent, Resolution and Testing Steps

Bob Wiggins June 10, 2016

I am attempting to configure field validation for Time Spent, resolution and testing steps but I haven't had any success.  If I use the "Fields Required" validator for any of these fields, it will indicate and error whether or not time is logged for Time Spent or text is present in the Resolution or Test Steps field.

When the issue is in "In Progress" and before it can be moved to done, I need to verify the following:

•  Time has been logged against the issue.
  •  There is text/documentation in the "Resolution" and "Testing Steps" field.

I would prefer not to make these fields "required" since I only need the data available for this specific transition.

I googled the topic and there were some suggestions around ScriptRunner but I don't believe it is available for the Cloud instance and I would not like to add additional cost to Jira.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

Hi Bob,

I think you are on the right track with the "Field is required Validator"

image2016-6-10 13:40:46.png

If you implement this validator on the transition that moves the issue from In Progress to Done then and only in this case the required values will be validated.

image2016-6-10 13:42:23.png

image2016-6-10 13:42:46.png

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2016

I believe, this option comes via script runner (not JIRA Misc Workflow extn). Since, this is a cloud instance, I think he wont get this option.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016
Bob Wiggins June 10, 2016

Yes, I have been using the "Field is required Validator" as suggested by Peter.  However, it doesn't seem to be working as I expected.  As a test, I added "Resolution" to a "Field is required Validator" for the transition from "In Progress" to "Done".  When I create a test issue and do not enter any value into "Resolution", an error message will pop up.  I then edit the issue and add text to the "Resolution" field and update the issue.  When I attempt to transition again, I continue to receive the error message pop-up.

As Steven indicated, I do believe the "Field is required Validator" comes from Misc Workflow Extensions which is installed on my instance.

If anyone else has any comments or suggestions, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

I'll try and come back and read through this closer.

Resolution never needs a validator. The Resolution field is ALWAYS required when it's on a screen; it's built into the template.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events