Top Level Menus Disabled/Not Working

Dan Landerman February 5, 2016

I have set up a new test environment for an upgrade from 5.2.4 to 6.4.9 and have a user who has been having issues with the menus. Clicking on them does not take them anywhere and the nested menus don't appear on hover. It seems that sometimes the dashboard doesn't load either but is inconsistent. Cache etc. has been cleared without any changes to the issue.

I am having a hard time reproducing the issue on any other machine but hers. I suspect its a Java issue of some sort but Firefox recently started working which was a bit surprising. This is a semi-suitable workaround, however, it'd be good for me to understand what the cause here is in the event other users have this issue after the upgrade. That being said, the upgrade has stalled out because of this particular problem.

Open to any insight or thoughts from the community. Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

Are you using IE? Maybe it's a browser issue with a combination of caching, compatibility and/or proxy configs.

Hi Gabrielle,

It's happening in IE 11+ and Chrome 47+. We've tried clearing cache/cookies for those without much luck. I thought maybe it was security settings in those browsers causing issues but those all seem to be defaults as well. 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

Is your team experiencing any performances issues with JIRA? I have seen JIRA instances where the "Menu" takes unusual time to respond (sometimes it does not pop out at all). 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2016

This can happen if you've logged out or left the session inactive for too long.  It also happens with certain advert and script blockers that are useful for security.

@Gabrielle I don't think that the performance is an issue. Since this a new test environment traffic is pretty low and I don't see anything in the logs or anecdotally that indicates slowdown or timeout.

@Nic I can take another look to see if anything could be blocking it. I have sat with the user, cleared cache and cookies, and had her log in with me sitting there. The menus load right away but are not functional. 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2016

And some add-ons that are not working properly.

Pedro Santos March 8, 2019

This is an old post but the same thing just happened to me in a test environment.
Once the plugin is installed no more menus or dashboards. If I disable the plugin it works again.
@Dan Landerman1how did you solve that?
Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events