Time spent between two status

Biswajit Roy May 26, 2016

Hi All

I need help with a JQL query. Need the time spent only between the status of ‘Reopened’ and ‘Complete’ for certain user stories. I was trying this query but it is  not working, but you can get the logic of what I need highlighted in red:

project = XXX and component=yy and sprint in (1386, 1387, 1388, 1597, 1673, 1674, 1675, 2116, 2211) and status changed to reopened during (startOfYear(), endOfYear()) and issuetype=story and timespent in (status between (reopened and complete))

Query is throwing a syntax error. Don't know if it is going to work though. Need any advice on how to get the results

2 answers

0 votes
Biswajit Roy May 27, 2016

Hi Chris Dunne,

Thanks for your comments. This is really helpful. I actually meant the time logged between 'Reopened' and 'Complete' by an assignee and not the duration of the transition.

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

I don't think this will work. As I understand it the timespent function returns the time logged on an issue and you can't slice and dice it by time period.

When you say you are looking for the time spent between the status of 'Reopened' and 'Complete' do you mean the time logged? Or do you mean the duration between transitioning to Reopened and transitioning to Complete?

In either case you could create custom fields and use post-functions on the relevant transitions.

You would benefit from the the JIRA Misc workflow extensions plugin for this. 

Basically copy the value (time logged or current time) to a custom field (e.g. called Custom Time Stamp) on the Reopened transition.

Calculate a value using a groovy statement to subtract the value in Custom Time Stamp from the current value and copy this to another custom field on the Complete transition. This will be the time logged / duration between the statuses.

Suggest an answer