Ticket blocked by - not actually blocked

Romain_Maltrud March 9, 2020

Hi members,

I am using Jira Core, and I would like to take benefit of the function "blocked by".

My problem is that tickets are actually not blocked at all by other ticket that should block them.

I other words, if I have a task "2" that cannot be done if task "1" is not done... well... I can still approve task "2".

Do you have any idea to resolve this problem ?

Thanks,

R.

1 answer

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2020

Hi @Romain_Maltrud,

A link in Jira is just a link, you can see further details from Atlassian in this comment:

Issues links in Jira are useful to help understand how Jira issues relate to each other.   But that is about the extent of their functionality at least within the native Jira code.   I can understand why you might have made this logical leap to believe that these links somehow block workflow steps in other issues, but in fact the issue links have no direct effect on the workflows these issues follow.

You'll have to use a third-party app to actually block another issue, e.g., JMWE with the Linked issues status condition or JWT with Block a transition based on issue links.

Best,

- Manon

Romain_Maltrud March 10, 2020

Hi @Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_ ,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I believed that a link was not just a link since there is a statut "block / is blocked by / etc." 

That's a pitty that I am obliged to add a plug-in to do such a basic thing :(

Best,

R.

Suggest an answer